The African Studies Association of Africa (ASAA) invites expressions of interest and proposals from institutions of higher learning, Think Tanks, or other sites of intellectual engagement in Africa to co-host the next biennial ASAA conference. The host institution will collaborate with ASAA to co-host the forthcoming conference to be held in October 2019.
Any academic institution of higher learning or other organisation based in Africa, which shares the values and goals of the ASAA is eligible to apply to host the conference. The institution must show commitment to organise the international conference in 2019. The host institution would need to have the strategic means, including but not limited to human resources and the ability to attract and manage funds, to organize a three to four-day conference for an average of 300-350 participants.
CRITERIA FOR EVALUATING PROPOSALS
The following will form a part of the assessment process:
- Membership of ASAA or plans to become institutional members of ASAA by January 2019
- Ability to ensure the security of conference participants
- Availability of a minimum of seven (7) breakout rooms with ability to accommodate at least thirty (30) people each
- Availability of at least one room capable of hosting a plenary session to seat at least four hundred (400) people
- An indication of the ability to assist in securing visas for participants
- Availability of usual conference equipment in breakout and plenary rooms, such as laptops, projectors, etc.
- Availability of transportation to and from the conference venue and lodging venues.
- Accommodation or ability to provide (access to) accommodation at near-by locations.
- Availability of a support team on the ground and an indication of how they will be managed.
- Ability to work with ASAA to secure sponsorship to support students to attend the conference.
- Availability of internet access for conference participants.
- Ability to provide meals (i.e., lunch), water and possibly beverages such as tea, coffee, and/or cocoa during the conference at discounted rates and in a non-disruptive manner.
- Arrangements for the easy payment of conference fees and on-site membership dues, and the transfer of membership dues and any balance on conference fees to the ASAA after the conference.
- Plans for assisting in fund-raising for the conference in collaboration with ASAA and subsidizing some expenses for special conference participants.
- Plans to enrich the conference experience through cultural activities during the programme and arrangements for pre- and/or post-conference tours
- Work with ASAA on a realistic budget and a share out of any revenue over costs and vice-versa at the end of the conference.
ASAA will play the following roles in the organization of the conference:
- Provide guidance to the host institution for the oversight of the conference and all conference activities
- Approve conference budget
- Prepare the final call for conference papers
- Assist with fundraising efforts
- Assist with securing international conference sponsors
- Approve the final selection of keynote speakers
- Collect ASAA membership dues at conference site
- Work with conference host to select papers for publication
- Organize the ASAA Business Meeting
Included in this call is a draft budget to help with the formulation of a budget, as well as a draft contract.